Wednesday, December 18, 2013

It's time to say goodbye...

Yes, it’s true, I am leaving Jamaica soon. It is time for me to come back home and start a new chapter! Just in time for winter! …And I don’t mind at all!


After the Holidays, I am planning to settle in Montreal, and work in the hotel industry again.

Yes, it does mean Erik and I will have to go through another period of long distance relationship! But after surviving the ultimate test of moving in together in this far-from-ordinary situation, we know that we are happy and strong together!


With all the time I had to think, I now know that I am someone who needs to be working to feel whole, gain a sense of accomplishment and independence. Lately, I also realized how many events and simple things I was missing back home: family birthday events, my great friends, my sister’s engagement, my best friend and her first baby (she is just the CUTEST), visiting my grandmother to support her during a time of grief… Being able to be there for them through good or bad times brings me a LOT of gratification.











After a year and a half spent flying back and forth between Canada and Jamaica, I can say that my life has changed forever. Living in Jamaica and seeing the things I saw every day, has brought me a new perspective on a lot of things. I had the chance to live a life I never thought I could have. I will always be grateful to Erik for this incredible experience and I am leaving the island with countless wonderful memories. Jamaica will always be part of our story and it will stay with us forever. It has not often been easy as it was my first real overseas experience. My journey had its ups and its downs but I am glad I managed to stay as long as I have. Even though sometimes my days appeared longer than they were, my time here has gone by really fast.


I still cannot believe I did not get into a car accident driving in the daily Jamaican chaos! I did however find a way to end up at the hospital once, but that was just because of my usual clumsiness. A few stitches later, I can truly say I’ve been scarred for life in Jamaica haha.












Of course there are things I will miss from my life in Jamaica…:


  • Speaking in French with Erik and saying anything we want without anyone understanding what we are talking about! :P
  • Opening the curtains of our bedroom to see the Blue Mountains every day.
  • The awesome small group of friends I was just getting to know better…
  • The 7 mile beach and the cliffs of Negril.
  • A great list of restaurants in Kingston we made a habit of visiting every now and then… I know I will have cravings… :P
  • Waking up late whenever I want… was the only thing I loved about not having a job!
  • The Blue Mountain coffee mmmmmm………
  • The night sounds that you would only hear in the tropics…
  • Our dear housekeeper: Jennifer! She got attached to us like we were family and I will miss having great talks with her about Jamaica…
  • The GOATS…hahaha especially the baby ones…! I never got tired of seeing them everywhere on the streets! They are just SO adorable and can surprise you with a dance or a jump or something! I am sure it would have been fun to have one at home! RIGHT?



But let’s face it…there are also things I will enjoy EVEN MORE in Canada after living in Jamaica:

  • Feeling at home again!
  • Shopping for groceries at a normal price with constant great products and UNLIMITED possibilities!
  • The different seasons and wearing different styles with multiple layers!! :) (Only a girl would say that…I know!)
  • Driving, knowing that most of the people ARE following the rules...
  • Living in an accommodation without worrying about the bitchy ants or worse…the horrible cockroaches…
  • My social life…or just having the chance to see my friends whenever I want to!
  • REAL CANADIAN FRESH COW MILK!!!!!!!!!
  • Drive-thru service everywhere!
  • One word: Poutine.

Writing this blog started as a personal therapy and occupation but surprisingly, people loved it more than I could imagine. I received a lot of personal messages asking for more information. Most of them were relieved they found some about an outsider living in Jamaica since they were planning to move here for different reasons. I even got to meet new friends in Kingston thanks to my blog! I can now strongly recommend writing your own blog if you find yourself in a similar situation.

I would like to thank every single one of you, my dear readers. I will continue to update my Facebook page from time to time. I will also reply to your emails and try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge. I also want to wish you happy holidays and may 2014 bring you everything you wish for as well as some good surprises!


As they say…walk good – (Farewell)!

3 comments:

  1. ...and then there's the unforgetable story about breaking your tailbone while cliff jumping at Rick's Cafe ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the best to you! I've loved your blog…it even inspired me to begin one. I can definitely say that aside from the poutine and fresh cow's milk, I am totally envious of your return to Canada. However, I will try and carry the torch and continue to use writing as an outlet for dealing with and sharing my own day to day experiences here. It took a lot of courage for you to leave your home for JA. It takes probably as much courage to leave your new life and return home after a year here. All the best with this new chapter of your life.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Hey Isabelle

    My name is Joe Pinzone and I'm casting an international travel show about expats moving abroad. We'd love to film in Central America/Caribbean and wanted to know if you could help us find expats who have moved there within the last 15 months or have been there for 3-4 years, but recently moved into a new home. The show documents their move to a new country and will place the country in fabulous light. The contributors on the show would also receive monetary compensation if they are filmed. If you'd like more information, please give me a call at 212-231-7716 or skype me at joefromnyc. You can also email me at joepinzone@leopardusa.com. Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Joe Pinzone
    Casting Producer
    P: 212-231-7716
    Skype: Joefromnyc

    ReplyDelete