Thursday, March 21, 2013

Electricity in Jamaica.


Electricity in Jamaica is not a reliable resource like in Canada. It is so unreliable that sometimes I think that as soon as darker clouds show up, I could lose the power. Haha, no but seriously just a little bit of rain or wind and we are often out of electricity. A big thunderstorm can make you lose all the food in your refrigerator. During the hurricane season from June to November, I swear I could lose power 1 to 3 times a week! Also, at night, if you’re up in the mountains, you can actually see city lights flickering. This is because the frequency of the electricity is 50Hz instead of 60Hz like in North America.










My best purchase in Canada was a 10$ USB fan shaped like an air plane. Available at Chapters stores ;). So when I did not have the A/C to help with the heavy humidity of a thunderstorm or a rainy day, at least I had this little guy for as long as my computer battery has a charge. The electricity company of Jamaica, JPS, is trying to improve those kinds of situations and cut off some of the trees in the way of the power lines…Now, I ONLY lose the power once or twice every two weeks, maybe more in the next hurricane season. We’ll see! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment